The SuperCompCloud Steering Committee would like to invite you to the SuperCompCloud workshop hosted in conjunction with SC19 in Denver, CO.
SuperCompCloud: Workshop on Interoperability of Supercomputing and Cloud Technologies
Monday, November 18, 9am to 12:30pm, Room 507, Denver Convention Center
This workshop aims to bring together groups of experts and practitioners from academia, national labs, and industry to discuss technologies, use cases, and best practices in order to set a vision and direction for leveraging high-performance, extreme-scale computing, and on-demand cloud ecosystems.
Topics of interest include tools and technologies enabling scientists to adapt scientific applications for cloud interfaces, interoperability of HPC and cloud resource management and scheduling systems, cloud and HPC storage convergence to allow a high degree of flexibility for users and community platform developers, continuous integration/deployment approaches, reproducibility of scientific workflows in distributed environments, and best practices for enabling “x-as-a-service” models at scale while maintaining a range of security constraints.
Welcome by David Y. Hancock, Indiana University, USA
Session I: Scientific Breakthroughs and Opportunities (Chair: David Y. Hancock, Indiana University, USA)
- 9:00 am-9:40 am: Scalability and data security: deep learning with health data on future HPC platforms. Georgia Tourassi, Director – Health Data Sciences Institute, ORNL, USA
- 9:40 am-10:00 am: Cloud and Supercomputing Platforms at NCI Australia: the Why, the How and the Future. Sean Smith, Director of NCI, Australia
Session II: Technology Perspective and Outlook (Kevin Kissell, Google, USA)
- 10:30 am-11:10 am: Keynote: HPC and Cloud Operations at CERN. Maria Girone, CTO, CERN openlab, Switzerland
- 11:10 am-11:30 am: Computing Without Borders: Combining Cloud and HPC to Advance Experimental Science. Debbie Bard, Data Science Engagement Group Lead, NERSC, USA
- 11:30 am-11:50 am: OpenStack and the Software-Defined Supercomputer. Stig Telfer, StackHPC, UK
- 11:50 am - 12:10 pm: Perform Like a Supercomputer, Run Like a Cloud. Stathis Papaefstathiou, Senior VP for R&D, Cray Inc, USA
- 12:10 pm-12:30 pm: Q&A Panel (Maria Girone, Debbie Bard, Stig Telfer and Stathis Papaefstathiou)
Closing and next steps by Sadaf Alam, Swiss National Supercomputing Centre, Switzerland.
Abstracts and bios
Speaker abstracts and mini-biographies are available at the workshop website: https://sites.google.com/view/supercompcloud
For more information, including interest in future participation or leadership, please contact the workshop organizers Sadaf Alam (Swiss National Supercomputing Centre) and David Y. Hancock (Indiana University) at email@example.com.